Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I Forgot About Hurricanes

I forgot about hurricanes. Suddenly this morning I looked around and there was Earl cruising past the Turks and Caicos, looking like it plans to travel the length of the Bahamas at a tolerable distance over the next three days then aim for the Carolinas or even New York. But it could just as easily veer to the west tomorrow and slam New Providence Island with 130 mph winds. Really, it could. I am living in the post-Haiti earthquake era, no longer completely confident that the really terrible natural disasters always happen somewhere else. At the time of this writing Earl is a category 4 storm located about 150 miles east-northeast of Grand Turk Island and the Southeastern Bahamas are under a tropical storm watch. I forgot about hurricanes. But I remember now.

No comments:

Blog Archive