Saturday, August 17, 2013

Blog Action Day 2013

  I am taking part in Blog Action Day 2013. Join me for a global conversation on Human Rights on October 16. Human rights is the theme for this year's event. I'm quite sure my post will be titled "Women's Rights Are Human Rights." And I am quite certain that I will write about Article 3 of The Universal Declaration of Human Rights which states that "all human beings have the right to life, liberty and security of person." It is that "security of person" part that strikes me. Surely too many millions of women (and children) of the world do not enjoy the human right to security of person. Violence against women, rape, child sex abuse, trafficking, enslavement, acid attacks, FGM, all these are violations to women's rights to security of person. So is living in fear of these crimes, committed against women because we are women.  I'm grateful for the chance to write for this event. Blog Action Day was founded in 2007, bringing together bloggers from around the world to bog about one important global topic in the same day. Last year 4000 bloggers from 111 countries participated, and though I registered to participate, I didn't, probably because I didn't properly manage my time. This year I am determined to make my contribution to the effort.  I'm realizing as I write that the Blog Action Day piece will be poetry, it is the only kind of writing I want to do these days. See you on the sixteenth.

No comments:

Blog Archive