Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Bracing for Hurricane Irene

The house is shuttered, the electricity is off and the generator running, the first of the rain is coming down and yes, those are definitely wind gusts. I don't like it one bit. I'm grateful for our secure house, try to take comfort in remembering that we have been through this before. From what I can gather we'll have the heaviest winds tomorrow morning around 8am. I don't know how the other islands have fared, as predicted the local news coverage is abysmal and the international coverage non-existant. Hey world, we exist and we matter! What is needed is for the people of the Bahamas to get on the web! We ARE the media these days, we need to be reporting on blogs and Facebook from every island, telling our own stories! There is such silence in this place. Just to keep myself centered, I plan to keep an account of the storm here, with frequent posts for the duration of the storm. Let us all stay safe and take care of one another.

No comments:

Blog Archive